Monday, March 18, 2013

Self Efficacy and Self Regulation

How might self-efficacy and self-regulation contribute to the intervention plans you use in your case study?

I think that this case study deals more with self-regulation than self-efficacy, but both are very important.

One reason why Lisa may be off task in her group is because she doesn't feel confident about her abilities or her particular job in her group, which may lead her to being off task and not motivated to try. As Lisa's teacher, I would need to boost her self-efficacy by giving her positive feedback when she does do something on task and productive. I would also assure her that she has the tools and does know how to work in an on task manner and successfully complete her role in her small group.

As I previously stated, self-regulation would really come into play in this case study. As I've seen in classrooms before, I could give Lisa a sticky note where she could keep tally marks of times that she is on task. I could also speak with her at the end of the day and ask her to evaluate how well she worked in her group that day. I would say something like "I was watching you today to see how you did in group time and I'd like you to tell me how you think you worked". This way Lisa will know that I too was observing her and she can't get away with saying "I did great!" even if she didn't have a good day. We could talk about things that she did right and wrong and why they were right and wrong. After this we could think of a plan for her to stay doing positive things in group work. This gives Lisa a sense of ownership, which I think is very important in younger students.

I have included a link to an article on self-regulation with some great tips for the classroom! http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/article/staff-workshop-teacher-handout-self-regulation-early-childhood-classroom

No comments:

Post a Comment